Does Jesus Speak to Us?
Recently, the ladies of The View, a daytime talk show on ABC, discussed whether or not Jesus speaks to people. Their opinions ranged from–
“Yes, He does speak to me, everyday.”
To “talking to Jesus is one thing, but hearing Jesus talk to you could be described as ‘mental illness.'”
Their comments focused on fired White House staffer Omarosa Manigault’s statement about Vice President Mike Pence, “He thinks Jesus tells him to say things.”
I applauded their conversation, even if I don’t agree with their opinions about people who hear Jesus speak to them. Here’s why I took notice:
- Outside of church, conversations about Jesus don’t happen often enough. Not a lot else matters besides what a person believes about Jesus.
- Jesus does speak to us, but many Christians don’t understand the role of the Holy Spirit in their life.
Yes! Jesus Speaks to Us Personally
When Jesus was alive on earth, He said that He was like a shepherd whose “sheep hear his voice and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.” He also said, “The sheep follow him because they know his voice.” Later, before He died, He assured His followers that He would live in them through the Holy Spirit.
“I will talk to the Father, and he’ll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can’t take him in because it doesn’t have eyes to see him, doesn’t know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!” (John 14:16-17 The Message)
The Holy Spirit is a real person, though invisible to us, who teaches and leads us. He may not speak in an audible voice, but we know that He’s speaking when He–
- Makes Jesus real to us.
- Points us to Jesus’ power and greatness.
- Reminds us that we are God’s child and He’s our Papa.
- Impresses on us holy thoughts that line up with the Bible.
- Gives us peace.
- Sets us free from a sin or destructive habit or a lie.
- Gives us powerful words for spiritual warfare.
Led: Learning to Listen and Follow
My book, Led, teaches that Jesus is the Good Shepherd who speaks to His sheep. Pick up your copy here, and invest 30 days learning to listen and follow.